Thursday, May 24, 2007

finding ephemera for art making

shell-shell for dad

Sometimes I find ephemera in the most unusual or unexpected places. Take this collage- the numbers and the letters. A few years ago I was on a business trip in Philadelphia. I had an afternoon of free time and I took off from my hotel and walked to Chinatown, just a few blocks from where my business trip brought me.


In Chinatown, I found the greatest little shops just full of items. I was mesmerized by all of the color and shiny things...life teeming everywhere, and things like whole chickens hanging in windows, feet and heads still attached...what a great place to explore.


I found these small books in a store for learning English- letters and numbers for non-English speaking Chinese. I think originally these little books were made for children, but they were being sold to adults. The price was $.50 for one book and so I splurged and bought two. :-)


I have used the letters and numbers in so much of my work. Each time I tear or cut out needed letters or numbers, I always go back in my head to Chinatown. It's an added bonus to re-visit long ago places while making art- does it get any better than that??

No comments: