Tuesday, January 1, 2008

painting faces

For some time now I have wanted to create mixed media pieces where I paint faces and collage the piece. But I feel very intimidated about painting a face. I want to paint a great face right off- no struggling - which is totally unreasonable on my part! I know that painting is a process. But there is a five year old inside of me that believes she 'should' be able to paint the perfect picture right off, and feels guilty that she can't (where does THAT come from???). Childhood dragons are not so easy to slay.

But I digress -
So I painted a face today for the first day of the new year. I read an article in Somerset Studio magazine by Misty Mawn that was so helpful. I used her technique explained in her article. (Risks and Rewards, by Misty Mawn, Somerset Studio, May/June 2007, p. 37 - 39). Using her gel medium transfer method to transfer a face onto the paper was perfect as a beginning place for me. It gave me something in which I could use as a guide. I am happy with the result.

I scanned my painting and then brought it into Photo Shop and then continued creating. I am quite pleased with the result. I think anyone wanting to paint faces might want to check out this article!

2 comments:

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

i drew a face a day in 2007...painting them is another story...maybe that should be my 2008 goal...good job...blessings for the new year, rebecca

Anonymous said...

this is a wonderful painting! what a perfect way to start out the new year...maybe one a day? ;-)
happy new year to you and thanks for sharing.