Wednesday, March 11, 2009

drawing

Constant practice devoted to one subject
often outdoes both intelligence and skill.
~ Cicero.




I am told over and over again to draw what I see. Doesn't that sound so logical, so simple?

But it really is a valuable message because so often we draw what we remember and not necessarily what we see. Drawing what I see means really looking at the subject- all of the nooks & crannies, shadows and little spots. Even a leaf- one of the gazillion that cover our lawns each autumn is a study in uniqueness. When I really 'see' a leaf, there are so many little curves, spots and veins. And each one is different. Each and everyone is different.

OK, I am babbling, so I will stop. But really, next time you see some leaves, really look at them...

2 comments:

Judy H said...

love the leaf. I feel the same way, the more you look, the more there is to see.

Laney said...

Wow, that's really detailed! Well done.