Thursday, February 10, 2011

ruling pen experiment

I've been having difficulty with writing in white in my art journals. My white sharpie pens start to leak, the oil pastels ruin my micro pens...nothing seemed to work well...so I started thinking about how I could do this better. That's when I remembered my old ruling pens. I watered down some fluid white titanium Golden's paint and it worked really well! In this picture the white paint is still wet so it looks a little shiny here. Anyway...if you are having the same problems with your art journaling- get yourself an old fashioned inking pen. I found a place here to buy them.

Inking pens were used in drafting once upon a time...along with a ruler to make wonderful inked lines. I have one that I purchased from Jonathan Talbot and I have another one that was my father's when he was in college, as part of a set. He went to collage when they used a slide ruler. to do the calculations..which I have no idea how to use.

5 comments:

...Darlene said...

eBeth,
I so remember those. When I went to art school to study interior design we used those for our drafting. I did not know drafting was related to I.D. but is was and any wobble in your line you got an F. I was such a failure!

Becky Shander said...

What a great tip, thanks. I was just thinking about using a white ink writing tool to add a poem to one of my pieces. Your tip came just in time, thank you.

NANCY LEFKO said...

Cool...which do you recommend...the scholastic ruling pen or the "cross joint" ruling pen? and is this shown over oil pastel ??

Unknown said...

Great tip. I borrowed one from a studio-mate once and forgot how great those work. Thanks!

Elizabeth Parsons said...

Nancy- I emailed you about this.