Wednesday, February 20, 2013

charcoal drawing

charcoal on paper
 5" x 8"

I've been doing a lot of drawing and I finished this tonight. It's charcoal on paper. The original reference is about 2x3 and the finished piece is 5x8, the size of my sketching book. This is the 5th time I have drawn her and this one is good, but her nose and cheek area is too long.

I tried something that really helped me see that the nose/cheek area are too long- I scanned in both images, the reference and this finished piece and superimposed them in photo shop and then dropped the opacity of one to see both. It's a great way to really compare. Try it!

My whole goal is to improve my overall drawing skills. To really draw what I see. The classic way to do this is to copy. Copy, copy and more copy. So be it!


No comments: