Monday, June 17, 2013

blahs...blues...bored...



I remember telling my kids, "Bored minds are boring minds"...

...every now and then I find myself in this place...I think it is bored. but not exactly sure what you call this. tired, uninterested, sort of defeated feeling, not in the mood to make art or do anything for that matter, but not depressed at all...just not in the mood to do much of anything...I piddle with this and that...mess with little things in my studio...but nothing of real merit. Don't feel like reading a book, or cooking a complicated meal or cleaning, God no cleaning...I think about pulling out my pastels...or watercolors...but then it seems like so much work...and art journaling almost feels fake or silly....so what's an artist to do?

This time also includes internal dialogue like: "you will never create again", "your art is stale". or my personal favorite: "Nothing sells because nothing is good enough"...you know the drill...all of the negative self talk has a hay day in my head while I do not produce or create much of anything...

 ...And I must remember to trust this process that I call my creative life. For history tells me that this fallow time I now find myself in usually (always, so far, but I don't want to jinx that) is followed by a very productive time in art making...so here we are again...in the fallow time, and I don't like it. not one bit...my fear is that this is permanent.



1 comment:

Robin said...

I don't think you'll be "down" for long, your work is amazing and one day soon you'll get an inspiration that drives you to your studio and nothing will be able to stop you! We all go through it from time to time, you're right to trust your innate creative process :)