Friday, August 17, 2007

Illustration Friday - CAPTAIN


As soon as I saw "Captain", I thought of one of my favorite poems:
O Captain!, My Captain! by Walt Whitman.
It was written in homage to Abraham Lincoln after his assassination after 1865.
I have always found the poem to be so moving and full of passion.

This artwork is a digital collage -
I imagined a widow of a sea captain- she walks on the widow's walk,
waiting for her love...it's such a sad poem.

Here is the poem:

O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done;
The ship has weathered every rack, the prize we sought is won;
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring.
But O heart! heart! heart!
O the bleeding drops of red!
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

O captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;
Rise up! For you the flag is flung, for you the bugle trills:
For you bouquets and ribboned wreaths, for you the shores a-crowding:
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Here Captain! dear father!
This arm beneath your head;
It is some dream that on the deck,
You've fallen cold and dead.

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still;
My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will;
The ship is anchor'd safe and sound, its voyage closed and done;
From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won!
Exult, O shores, and ring, O bells!
But I with mournful tread,
Walk the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

6 comments:

murphy girl said...

i didn't know that about the poem. thanks for including the whole thing, it's really powerful

claudine hellmuth said...

beautiful! I love that poem, one of my favs :)

Vhrsti said...

Wonderful!

atomicvelvetsigh said...

ha! nice.. im guessing we are not the only ones who posted the poem as well. but the artwork accompanied is always unique in every way...

hope you pass by mine too..

Anonymous said...

You know, I never knew the history behind the poem....it is all the more powerful in my head.... I LOVE the digital collage too. Everytime I hear the "Captian my Captian...." I think about the movie, The Dead Poets Society and the kids standing on their desks saying goodbye to Robin Williams....

Anonymous said...

Boof - I've known you all these years and didn't know that was one of your favorite poems too -- it was always my favorite, and I actually memorized it and said it out loud in front of the class when I was in grade school! Back then I was scared and nervous to read it, now it makes me cry....
Peggy