Thursday, January 1, 2009

goals for 2009


By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The non-existent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.

~Nikos Kazantzakis


I read the above on another blog today and it really hit home. The posting was about goal setting - to be very specific in our goal setting. Yes, it's a cliche to be setting goals on New Year's Day, but it works. There are reasons for cliches, they tend to be near a truth.


My first goal is to lose at least 10 lbs. in 3 months, and keep it off. I have more to lose, but I need to chunk it down into more manageable and attainable numbers. If I don't chunk it down, I'll get overwhelmed head for the Chunky Monkey (or Vanilla Heath Bar Crunch) and sabotage myself. So 10 lbs. it is. Progress. That means April 1, 2009 I will be at least 10 lbs. lighter than I am as I write this.


My second goal is to grow my home based business to a certain financial income I need to be a viable business. Viable for me is not to have to seek outside employment to meet my financial obligations. (I am writing this more for me that for you, so please bear with me!)


My passion is art. I've always lived by the 'do what you love and the money will follow' philosophy. I love working in my studio making art, be it assemblage, collage, watercolor...I love scouring flea markets, antique shops and eBay for wonderful vintage finds to use in my art. I generally buy more of what I need for my own art and then sell the surplus to other artists. I have a certain dollar amount that I need to make in order to stay home and not seek outside work. I make and sell art, paper goods and vintage art findings online. I have always made a small profit in my home based business, but I have not taken it as seriously as I could. My pharmaceutical package design job looks like it may be ending this year, so the timing is perfect for me to look at my home business as my new 'real' job.

SMART goals = Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Timely

4 comments:

Gai said...

happy new year to you and good luck for you new set goals. I am sure all of them will be a success. I hadn't had time to visit much over the christmas period and have enjoyed a brief viewing of your blog with other work. great art work I have you on my sites to look at.

Gai said...

Thanks for visiting my new venture. I have just been searching your site and I found the menopause Queen. I can't believe I missed it when you posted it back in october. Its a great sculpture.

Kelly McIntyre said...

Goals-I'm really starting to like them. Without them I find myself living without intention and wasting far too many hours playing cards online! I keep remembering the old quote, "This ain't no dress rehersal!" The other I am remembering is, "Obstacles are what we see when we take our eyes off the goal." I know you'll get there! Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

Because I'm retired and unable to work outside the home for medical reasons it would be great if I could sell to bring in something to help with our finances. I have far more than you to loose so your idea of taking it at a managable amount is really a great idea!!! Good luck!!! Bevie