Saturday, May 21, 2011

I have to be willing to be a bad doll maker...

in order to become a good doll maker...

I've been messing around with polymer clay and doll head sculpting. It's not pretty. I have no idea what I am doing...but I want to learn! I also want to try paper clay. I started with paper clay- made two lower legs with feet. Not terrible, but beginner level for sure. And isn't that appropriate??? I AM A BEGINNER. But you see, I want to wake up and be an EXPERT. Sadly, it doesn't work that way, at least, not for me...

I was with two doll artists last week and saw their BEAUTIFUL dolls...man, was I inspired...I decided right then that I want to make a doll- from start to finish- the sculpting, the painting, the costume...all of it...that is what is so appealing to me about dolls...it's all in one- designing, sculpting, painting, sewing...all-in-one.

so, over this weekend I have sculpted no less than 10 heads. The beauty of polymer clay...just squish it up and start over. That's one reason I like polymer clay better than paper clay. Paper clay is a one shot deal and it's a little pricey. But I like the look of paper clay...what's a doll maker to do? I'll practice on the polymer clay and then try both. My doll heads are pathetic at this stage...but I'll keep going. That's how we do this, no?

One decision- eyes or no eyes? Do I add glass eyes, make my own eyes or sculpt eyes? The bigger questions in life...

One cool thing- You Tube- I just put in searches and can watch how other doll artists make their heads.

2 comments:

Jingle said...

Have you SEEN my dolls???? I kinda suck at sculpting in all honesty. I mostly work in paper clay, but I do pull out the sculpey from time to time. I just make what I love and let my inspiration guide me. Are there better doll makers, ABSOLUTELY! But I like my dolls, and other people like my dolls, so I'm kinda gonna be happy about that and just keep growing with every doll I create!

Elizabeth Parsons said...

exactly! I just have fun with it. I love learning hew things...even though I stink at them!