Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I've been on vacation

While typing that title I had to smile...being on 'vacation' when you are retired sounds a little silly...but I just spent 3 weeks with family in the south. Two of the weeks were spent on Edisto Island, a remote sea island off the coast of South Carolina. I am not kidding when I say REMOTE. We rented a house on the beach, and the beach is 17 miles from the beginning of the island to that beach. To get the beach, you drive through 17 miles of ancient live oaks with Spanish Moss draped and hanging over the road. It's a scene right out of movie- almost looks fake!! It's a jungle in many respects.

I did not do any crafting while there. I did so some painting. You can see one of my vacation paintings here.  Lately I have not been doing much in the crafting arena. I am more focused on painting. I tend to do that- go in a cycle where I do the crafting or the painting. I find it hard for me to do both at the same time. Not sure why.


These two images I took while on Botany Bay Preserve. It's an area that was once a plantation and now a protected preserve. The jungle/forest grows right into the ocean here. You are not allowed to take any shells from the beach. People who visit tend to 'decorate' the area with found shells, much like this fallen palm with the line of conches. It' is 'other worldly' here. Just one of the many reasons I love Edisto Island. 

No comments: