Tuesday, February 7, 2017

The Ocean called me...

The ocean called her and she went...

This is what happened to me. When I was 10 or so, I used to walk around Bethany Beach, DE while on vacation and tell myself that someday I would live here. It took me 50 years, but here I am.
It's winter here now, Empty and quiet...and I love it.  As much as I love summer at the beach, I think I love winter here more. It's magical in it's quiet secluded farm land that lies just inland. Once you get off of the actual coast, Delaware is corn and chickens. It's rural. I live Sussex County, and it's called Lower Slower Delaware for a reason.  It's just south enough to have the southern influence.  I think I have found heaven here. New York seems far away now. It's so different here that I can scarcely take it in. 

I lived in Monroe, NY for 38 years and I find I don't miss it one bit. What I was worried about before moving here was the convenience of NY- the shopping, doctors, restaurants.  But I've found it all with in 2 miles of my home. While there is only 1 fast food place in the surrounding 3 towns, that is fine by me! If I want to go 'real' shopping or to a Michael's- it's all 13 miles away along Route 1, one of the prettiest drives along the east coast. Driving from Bethany Beach up to Rehoboth is a drive everyone should see. The Indian River Bay on one side and the ocean on the other side. Sand dunes and long views, like the Carolina Low Country. It's magnificent! i pinch myself when I take that drive to remind me that I LIVE HERE. Life is good. I am grateful. I am happy.



No comments: