Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Getting ready for Urban Sketching

supplies I'll be bringing for Urban Sketching:
watercolor spiral pad
brush, water brush, pencil, Pitt Pens
Winsor & Newton watercolor set
paper towels, water
insect repellent, sunscreen and a hat

And it all fits in this cloth bag I made. 
Ready to go!

Through the Rehoboth Art League, I'll be spending this weekend doing a group Plein Air Sketching. I am really looking forward to this. My past plein air experiences are limited. I did do plein air painting in Provence, France for 2 weeks several years ago and it was a real challenge - there was WIND...so much that it would knock over our easels and it prevented us from several days of no outdoor painting. The winds in France are called the Mistrals, and they are quite strong.  I've done a little plein air in my old town in NY- I would park my car at the lakes in town and paint what I saw. That's about it! To be honest, I am a studio painter- I really like my creature comforts and no bugs!  I also like to paint from reference photos. Painting from life is much harder for me. I want to improve my real life spontaneous sketching.  

 I want to improve my outdoor painting / sketching as I have a trip to Italy in late August and I will be bringing this very bag and supplies for travel sketching. I thought it would be good to start practicing before I get to Italy! I live near the ocean and have plenty of inspiration to sketch. 

No comments: